Lawyers are required to exercise the following under their professional conduct rules (This list is not exhaustive):
- Be diligent and honest in dealing with you
- Keep you and your case information confidential
- Undertake work in a way that does not unnecessarily escalate their fees
- Complete work within reasonable time frame
- Be a competent representation for you
- Keep you informed of the progress of your case in a reasonable matter
- Be able to render statements and accounts upon your request
- Respond promptly to calls or SMS and keep to appointments fixed
- Explain clearly proposals of settlements, offers or positions taken by parties which affect you
- Be independent when advancing your interests
- Inform and update you of legal fees incurred
- Evaluate your case on the consequences and risks
This article is written by Adrian Mah from Asia Law Network.
This article does not constitute legal advice or a legal opinion on any matter discussed and, accordingly, it should not be relied upon. It should not be regarded as a comprehensive statement of the law and practice in this area. If you require any advice or information, please speak to practicing lawyer in your jurisdiction. No individual who is a member, partner, shareholder or consultant of, in or to any constituent part of Interstellar Group Pte. Ltd. accepts or assumes responsibility, or has any liability, to any person in respect of this article.